Thursday, March 10, 2011

It's the little things that count

In no particular order, here are some of the things that have made me very happy this week and hopeful that spring is really coming.

I saw a big basket with a Christmas Rose like this in it at a floral shop in downtown Zurich and loved it. But didn't buy it. I went on a do-it-yourself quest this week and came up with the flower at Guggenbühl and the pot from Jumbo.

I finally threw away my holly wreath that had been on the wooden chair outside the front door. I know it is a little late in the year for a helleborus, but this is sure pretty.


Another do-it-yourself project (there were three of those this week) was to re-decorate this big dish on the low board in the living room. It is still a little early to be Easter-y, but I like the hen and eggs at the bottom, which are recycled from a buy-it-yourself decoration from last year.
This picture is sideways and I don't know how to fix that [note to self: ask Tanya how to fix that], but the main thing is that there are yellow blossoms coming out on these tree branches.


I also took out my winter candles from the lounge and filled the glasses with little Camellia bushes with white flowers. If they really end up blooming, I think it will make a pretty change of scenery outside my kitchen window.



My "winter" blanket has been joined by a lighter, "spring" silk and linen throw on the couch. Holger doesn't really get this one and thinks there is an actual finite number of how many blankets a couch needs, and that number is 1. I, on the other hand, think why artificially constrain yourself if there is more than one throw out there worth having?


This last one both Holger and I agree on: you can finally see a lot of our tulips and bulbs we planted last fall coming out. Holger walks up and down the yard every night checking it out, as though by sheer will power he could make these things come out. I am so happy it looks like he isn't going to be disappointed!

3 comments:

  1. beautiful flowers! sneeze sneeze...spring is on the way! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll teach you how to rotate photos if you help me on the "little things" front. I'm hopeless and you are awesome, especially the multi-throws.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yea! I am so excited to see tulips popping up!!

    ReplyDelete